Re: [sixties-l] Re: sixties-l-Vietnam War Memorials

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 19:53:45 CUT

    Moralism ugly? Explain. Always counterproductive politically?
    Re-read Jeff Blankfort's posts on his experiences in talking to
    military on that basis. Or an experience of my own.
        One day when the Berkeley campus of the University of
    California was being tear-gassed during the 1969 People's Park
    upheaval, I took refuge in the construction site of the
    undergraduate library then being built. I was a prime candidate
    for arrest because the authorities knew me well, and I had just
    been very vocal from the top of a car in opposing them. As I held
    a teaching appointment in the Sociology Department, my first
    after twenty-two years of blacklisting subsequent to one at the
    Hoover Institution of Stanford University, I felt an arrest would
    do my chances of reappointment no good.
        The construction foreman ordered me to leave. That was near
    where I had entered, and that would have put me back among the
    cops and armed forces (the city was under martial law). I argued
    unsuccessfully until I said: "I don't know what church you belong
    to, but you must have been brought up under some kind of
    morality. I'm simply asking you to let me leave at the other end
    of the site to avoid trouble." He did so.
        The pilot of the Enola Gay was a war criminal because he knew
    he was dropping a weapon that would exterminate civilians
    indiscriminately.
                                            William Mandel

    --
    To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out."
    You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net