Re: [sixties-l] Re: sixties-l-Vietnam War Memorials

From: Ted Morgan (epm2@lehigh.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 15:39:56 CUT

    Thanks to Craig Kind for his interesting historical post. I think the
    'tortured' path towards abolition of slavery is quite relevant to the question
    of democratic awakenings & mobilization, too. After all, there were years in
    which small groups agitated against slavery (e.g., Quakers) going way back
    before the reality occurred. As Howard Zinn has said, the agitation is crucial
    --one never knows when it's going to encounter an optimizing environment and
    either spread to a mass mobilization or effect significant change (or both).
    On another of Craig's point, though, re. "immorality" of the war --a point
    central to my argument re. media. I would distinguish between the antiwar
    MOVEMENT's views of the war, which I would argue did, in fact, revolve around
    issues of immorality,at base (probably reinforced both other concerns), and
    general public opinion against the war, which I agree reflected a far wider set
    of 'reasons' (including 'it's not working,' 'it's gone on too long,' 'it's too
    costly,' etc.). So the question about reasoning behind antiwar sentiment is
    important; we shouldn't gloss over differences between reasons.
    On the other hand, I toss out for Craig & the list's consideration, the finding
    of the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations in their quadrennial public opinion
    poll in the post-Vietnam war years. Ever since, I believe, 1979, more than 50%
    (and in most cases between 68-71%) of the American public have given as their
    assessment of the war that it was "more than a mistake, it was fundamentally
    wrong and immoral" (the other choice, I think, if there was only one... was the
    it was "a mistake"). That, it seems to me indicates something, though exactly
    what, as Craig says, isn't self-evident. The could be seen as immoral because
    it involved a powerful giant wreaking destruction on a tiny nation, it could be
    seen as immoral because it inherently involved an assault on civilian
    populations, and it could be seen as immoral in that it involved a government
    lying to, exploiting, and then throwing away 19-year old 'boys.' But the
    latter requires some sense of what 'lying to' and 'exploiting' meant, which I
    would argue at least implicity involves the kind of 'war' it was.
    Cheers,

    Ted