[sixties-l] patriotism

From: Joe McDonald (joe@countryjoe.com)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 03:18:07 CUT

    It is strange the defensiveness that civilians have when talking with
    military veterans about war. The one exception is real committed
    political or moral workers who have dedicated their lives to "justice"
    or something of the like. Military veterans have that little box marked
    "service to country" checked off and civilians don't always. In my
    opinion they often want to know who did the best or most of what and who
    didn't do enough. All the military vets i know don't care about that
    stuff. All of us know we "served" our country in that old cliched
    meaning and don't have to worry about it even if we got screwed in the
    process and it don't mean nothin. We might have even contributed
    toward some innocent deaths and injustices. As Vietnam Vets often said
    "sorry bout that".

    Every American alive is responsible for everything that America does and
    i for one don't understand all the finger pointing. It sure is
    convenient for the powers that be. Divided we remain. The 60's
    generation is the "push over" generation in many ways. While we sit
    around arguing about the past and who is the best the American Power
    Machine made up of the rich and powerful rape and pillage the world and
    us.

    i love that bumper sticker that you see on motor homes driven by retired
    folks bragging "we're spending our children's inheritance". Oh hell
    yea, that is our inheritance going out the door folks. Our ozone, our
    endangered species, our freedom, our MONEY, etc. etc. So let's beef on
    about political righteousness i got a few minutes before i haveta get
    back to the house work and the kids and oh yea making a buck.

    See song #5 on side 2 of my album PARIS SESSIONS or page 6 of my poetry
    book NAVY POEMS or take 8 of my video VIETNAM EXPERIENCE.

    cheers, country joe mcdonald

    -- "Ira Furor Brevis Est " - Anger is a brief madness

    country joe Home Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
    country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale
    <http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale>
    Berkeley Vietnam Veterans Memorial
    <http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Links/Comm/vvm>
    Rag Baby Online Magazine <http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine>