Re: [sixties-l] Patterns

From: Ted Morgan (epm2@lehigh.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 18:20:20 CUT

    Marty makes excellent points about the need to stop "reading each other out of the
    movement." We struggle a little with this in our local Labor Party chapter,
    dealing with differences between those who are truly committed to developing a
    third party to challenge the Dempubs and those who get sucked into the "lesser of
    two evils" in the local Congressional race (shades of HHH). The old 60s' style of
    "I'm more authentic" or "I'm more correct than you" has got to go or we'll remain
    hopelessly marginalized forever.
    Marty correctly criticizes the "purity" emphasis and advocates compromise. Still,
    I don't think it's quite that easy. Depends on the compromise!! I think reformism
    is great --IF the reform one is working for promises a structural shift in the
    ability of elites to maintain their power & the system to persist. If the reform
    weakens those (like real campaign finance reform might; like real entry of a
    radical perspective into mainstream media might; like easing the path for third
    parties might...), then I think it's worth working for and compromising to get.

    These concerns seem relevant to Mark Bunster's post re. income differential, in
    the way he seems to 'personalize' a critical issue in our globalizing market
    society. In speaking of the way the CEOs (and others) earn way out of proportion
    to most rank & file folks, he asks "why it is their fault." I don't think that's
    the major question --the "fault" is a system which distributes money that way.
    But, on the other hand, given that system, if one "plays the system" in order to
    be one of the lucky ones that wins big --and does nothing to confront or work for
    change of this system-- then I go back to the ole' 60s maxim, "If you're not part
    of the solution, you're part of the problem." If one is making hundreds of
    thousands of dollars, is one using it all self-indulgently, or is one making major
    contributions to political causes that challenge the system? I think the "part of
    the problem" still holds, though I quite agree with Marty that our standards do
    not and should not require "purity."

    Ted

    <snip>