Re: [sixties-l] Re: Sixties gatherings?

From: Joe McDonald (joe@countryjoe.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 03:08:18 CUT

    Neil Friedman wrote:

    > I seem to recall a reference to a Sixties gathering coming up in
    > Detroit. Does anyone have details or am I making this up?
    > I am interested in knowing about Sixties gatherings and conferences
    > especially where I can present my work in progress about the Sixties.

    i have been working with Wayne State Professor and poet M L Liebler on a
    week of activities similar to what i did at U C Berkeley in 1987. it is
    a work in progress now but will definately happen with some program
    changes but the dates are firm. He is what it looks like now:

    cheers, country joe mcdonald

    Program Outline & Specific Events

     MONDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2000

    11:30am=Opening Ceremony for The Moving Wall Memorial
    Ribbon cutting ceremony with WSU President Irwin Reid, Detroit City
    Council
    Members, area religious leaders, YMCA leaders, Country Joe McDonald. We
    will
    begin with a Vietnam Veterans/Boy-Girl Scout color guard to raise the
    flag.

    1:00pm=FILM: Hearts & Minds (WSU campus)

    7:30pm=Poetry Reading featuring Ed Sanders, Ken Mikolowski & Viet Nam
    Vet
                   Poets Lamont B. Steptoe & Ron Allen and Country Joe@The
    Sacarb
    Club

     TUESDAY, OCTOBER 31, 2000

    12:30pm=Film: Country Joe's Vietnam
                   Panel Discussion on the national & local anti-war
    movement &
    culture with
                   John Sinclair, Jeff Hale, Country Joe McDonald, Lamont B.

    Steptoe & Ed
                  Sanders (WSU Campus)

    7:30pm=Ten for Two: John Sinclair & John Lennon Film followed by a
    reading/performance by John Sinclair & His Blues Scholars at The Detroit

    Film Theater

     WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2000

    7:00pm=Poetry Readings by the Children of Vietnam Veterans

    8:00pm=Poetry Readings by Women involved in The Vietnam War/Anti-War
                   Movement w/ California poets Maggie Jaffe & Mifanwy
    Kaiser
    with Detroit's
                   Gloria House, Aurora Harris & Anca Vlasopolos plus
    Country
    Joe
                   McDonald's musical tribute to nurses at The Detroit
    Public
    Library

     THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2000

    7:30pm=Film: Regret to Inform followed by a discussion with film's
    director
                   California's Barbara Sondenborn at The Detroit Film
    Theater

     FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2000

    7:00pm=Readings by Union Members who served in Viet Nam (co-sponsored
    with
                   UAW & National Writers Union)
    8:00pm=Poetry and Fiction by Nationally acclaimed Viet Nam veteran
    writers
                   W.D. Ehrhart, John Connolley & Wayne Karlin at The Scarab
    Club

     SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 4, 2000

    8:00pm=Music of the Viet Nam War and Era featuring Country Joe McDonald,

                    Motown's The Contours & The Magic Poetry Band

     SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 2000

    3:00pm=Closing Ceremonies for The Moving Wall with Chapter 9 Viet nam
                   Veterans Color Guard / Closing Comments by Country Joe
    McDonald,
                   and M.L. Liebler

    -- "Ira Furor Brevis Est " - Anger is a brief madness

    country joe Home Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
    country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale
    <http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale>
    Berkeley Vietnam Veterans Memorial
    <http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Links/Comm/vvm>
    Rag Baby Online Magazine <http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine>