[sixties-l] Re: Makah Whaling Update (June 18, 2000: Your tax dollars at work)

From: Joe McDonald (joe@countryjoe.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 04:02:26 CUT

    fyi, for the past two weeks a running battle has taken place between the Makah
    Native American Tribe, the US Coast Guard ordered to protect them and pro whale
    defenders, resulting in a hospitalized protester and many demonstrations and
    confrontations. A judicial ruling a few days ago reversed the ruling that
    allowed the Makah to hunt whales in violation of the International Whaling
    Commission. Here is the latest info: enjoy , cheers, country joe mcdonald

    For further information and several web sites related to this issue visit my
    home page at <http://www.countryjoe.com>

    Dan Spomer wrote:

    > ===== A message from the 'makahwhaling' discussion list =====
    >
    > FROM WASHINGTON CITIZEN'S COASTAL ALLIANCE
    >
    > Sekiu, WA: 10:25am PDT
    >
    > We are pleased to bring you the results of the investigation launched by
    > Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW), a 600,000 member, private,
    > non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to educating Americans about
    > the waste, mismanagement, and inefficiency in the federal government.
    >
    > It is our opinion that the following article may be one of the most
    > important ever generated on the Makah whaling issue, and we encourage you to
    > contact CAGW to thank them for their involvement! (www.cagw.org) Be SURE to
    > contact your congressional representatives with this information and DEMAND
    > they halt any further hunting NOW! Further information is available at
    > www.stopwhalekill.org
    >
    > As taxpayers, you will be less than amused with what you are about to
    > read...
    > *****
    >
    > HARPOONING A FISHY TRADITION
    > By Kerrie N. Rezac
    > (June, 2000 'WasteWatcher,' CAGW's official newsletter)
    >
    > Whether you are Tevye, the lead in the musical Fiddler on the Roof, or a
    > member of an American Indian tribe trying to resurrect a long forgotten
    > hunting custom, you have to know that some traditions just arent worth
    > keeping. Especially if they cost the taxpayers $5 million.
    >
    > While cutting back on normal operations (such as ticketing drunken boaters
    > and arresting drug smugglers) due to increasing oil prices, the Coast Guard
    > is spending $11,550 an hour to help the Makah Indian Tribe of Washington
    > resurrect a tradition. Ironically, Coast Guard spokesman John ODell has
    > remarked, If it is not a life-threatening situation, we have to ask how
    > much involvement from the Coast Guard there should be. Apparently the
    > rules change if the Clinton-Gore administration wants something.
    >
    > In Neah Bay, Wash., the federal government has doled out almost $5 million
    > to help the Makah Indian Tribe resurrect the tradition of hunting gray
    > whales. But the Makah hunt is not a tradition at all. Unlike 21st century
    > Makah, earlier Makah did not wear Nikes and Adidas and use automatic rifles
    > on their hunts. The early tribesmen certainly did not get government
    > funding for their hunting. Their sense of pride came from having conducted
    > the hunt themselves.
    >
    > The current situation no doubt has the Makahs ancestors rolling in their
    > burial mounds. The federal government spent $200,000 just to obtain
    > permission for the hunt from the International Whaling Commission (IWC).
    > Uncle Sam also spent $735,000 to show members of the tribe how to kill and
    > eat their prey. And then there are the Coast Guard escorts who watched the
    > hunters do cannonballs off the sides of their canoe for three hours. All
    > in order to restore a sense of culture in the tribes children.

> [...]

    -- "Ira Furor Brevis Est " - Anger is a brief madness

    country joe Home Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
    country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale
    <http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale>
    Berkeley Vietnam Veterans Memorial
    <http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Links/Comm/vvm>
    Rag Baby Online Magazine <http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine>