Re: [sixties-l] Re; Necrology

From: Joe McDonald (joe@countryjoe.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 01:34:41 CUT

    Paul.Lauter@mail.cc.trincoll.edu wrote:

    > Don Kalish died yesterday. As some of you may know, he was a central
    > figure in anti-war activism in the 60's in and around LA especially, where
    > he was a professor of Philosophy at UCLA until he retired some years back.
    > He was a great supporter of guys in the Resistance--a few of whom took
    > advantage of his hospitality, which never troubled him much. And he was
    > one of the founders of Resist (which, btw, continues as a small
    > "foundation" supporting progressive organizing and educational work). He
    > was a serious and interesting philosopher, who kicked the academic habit,
    > pretty much, to work for and support peace and justice.
    > Folks have been talking of memorials: what would be an appropriate
    > one for Don? paul

    There should be somewhere a memorial to anti war activists who do not have
    the benifit of govt stipends and burial plots and VA medical care but still
    "serve" their country. And like the new trend in memorials it should have
    their names on it. But how to do it is the question? It would take some
    team work and is that possible today? I for one am into it but it needs to be
    a group effort. cheers, country joe mcdonald

    -- "Ira Furor Brevis Est " - Anger is a brief madness

    country joe Home Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
    country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale
    <http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale>
    Berkeley Vietnam Veterans Memorial
    <http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Links/Comm/vvm>
    Rag Baby Online Magazine <http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine>