Re: [sixties-l] Korea

From: monkerud (monkerud@scruznet.com)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 23:52:24 CUT

    This raises an interesting question about tae kwon do, a Korean martial
    arts. I've always been leary of dojos that displayed their flag on the
    wall, no matter what nationality .... the rising sun, the Korean flag or
    even the US.

    When I began to examine the dojos, I found pictures of the senior students
    ... primarily military officers. What I've read indicates that the KCIA are
    also intertwined with Korean martial arts.

    I find the art itself to be bent to American rules so that today's it's
    attack karate. There are alternatives to this style of self defense and
    there is likewise a spiritual path. Haven't met many martial arts that do
    more than give lip service to the "spiritual" side of the martial arts and
    even the Japanese martial arts I studied hark back to Shinto and were
    primarily created by the military.

    Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of aikido, trained the leading military men
    who invaded China ... most of them were killed ... he supposedly withdrew
    from teaching to live in the country and developed aikido as a means to
    world peace. The martial arts in Japan are associated with the right wing
    and the political Japanese I met there found incomprehensible that I would
    study aikido. The yakusa study martial arts. Politics weren't discussed in
    aikido except to stress universal harmony, the harmony of all things and
    other unifying themes.

    That some instructor squeaked through with politics from studying tae kwon
    do (or it could have been an entirely different art) surprises me.
    (Although I too cheer the fact that North and South Korea appear to be
    ending their hostility and would like the troops home now!)

    best, Don Monkerud