Re: [sixties-l] Re: sixties-l-Vietnam War Memorials

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 17:32:17 CUT

    So Mark Bunster lives in Richmond, VA! My poem on monuments to
    Confederate generals, posted previously, was titled: "New Trial
    in Richmond." It was prompted by an extraordinary event in 1951,
    a "pilgrimage" of 500 people from all over the country, about
    equally Black and white, of whom I was one, seeking to save the
    lives of the Martinsville Seven, African-Americans executed for
    the rape of a white woman (evidence indicated simply an act of
    prostitution) in a state where no white had ever been put to
    death for rape in its entire history. The event was remarkable
    not only because it was a decade earlier than the Freedom Rides
    but particularly because the welcome by and militancy of the
    local Black community had no precedent in the formerly
    secessionist states since the Populists half a century earlier.
        Permit another stanza:
                    And I shall sit on that Court some day
                    not with bowed and bended head to pray
                    as we did through many a winter night
                    beneath that Tree, in a losing fight,
    `` but, lessons learned and battle done,
                    Our Court shall call them one by one,
                    Governor, President, judges gray,
                    whose hands took seven lives away
                    to keep a people bound in fear,
                    to hold the line that awful year
                    when Negroes fought a kindred race
                    and bound themselves to a lesser place.
        The last two lines pertain to the Korean War.
        I give fifteen pages to the Martinsville-Richmond struggle in
    Saying No To Power because it is a chapter in African-American
    history not described in any other book as far as I am aware. I
    reproduce a photo of us in a church from the contemporary
    Richmond Afro-American because of a line in that paper's caption,
    reading: "Note that colored and white are sitting side by side
    and not in segregated sections as they did at the recent Marian
    Anderson concert at the Mosque Theatre."
                                            William Mandel

    --
    To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out."
    You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net