[sixties-l] Korea

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 02:23:27 CUT

    I'm a little shocked that none of the participants in this list,
    who write much about things happening or that ought to happen
    right now, have reacted with absolute silence to the
    extraordinary news of the agreement between the two Koreas that
    should both lead to the withdrawal of the U.S. troops now
    entering their second half-century there, and that undercuts the
    excuse for the Demopubs revival of Star Wars. So I have gotten my
    daughter's permission to forward her reaction, which was simply
    sent to family members. Phyllis is a very well-known 1960s Bay
    Area activist.
                            Bill Mandel

    --
    To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out."
    You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net

    attached mail follows:

    On a better note, I found, as a student of Korean Martial Arts, and as a victim of McCarthyism during my school years and the Korean War, and a protestor of the use of atomic weapons and threatening our citizenry, THE NEWS THAT NORTH AND SOUTH KOREA HAVE COME TO SOME PEACE ACCORDS THAT SATISFY EACH OF THEM, WAS BLESSED GOOD NEWS TO MY EARS. Accordingly I want to thank my comrade-in-arms, Jewish internationalist of the highest order, Stefan Argent; my ex-husband Keith Glick, my old friend Faye Blake, and last but NOT LEAST AT ALL, our Korean instructor Bong Choi, for his friendship to his American students, his patience and his unwar-like teaching that bridged the gap between two cultures, that allowed us Americans to learn another culture. I consider it an honor that I was bestowed a Black Belt by Mr. Choi, and am sorry that he and my above friends are no longer with us, because they would celebrate this day with great happiness!

    Phyllis Mandel, Jewish internationalist, Woman for peace

    On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:46:33 -0700 William Mandel <wmmmandel@earthlink.net> writes: > An Associated Press dispatch from Jerusalem today reads: > "The newspaper Ha'aretz said the United States has drawn up a > list of 27 countries it considers problematic destinations for > Israeli weapons, including China and India -- two major Israeli > clients." > The next-to-last paragraph of my autobiography, Saying No To > Power, published last year, reads: > "So a war [Kosovo] that began with the world looking > unipolar, Washington making all basic decisions, ended with the > beginnings of a new bloc to confront it, and nuclear wild cards > such as Cghina and India in a position to throw their weight to > one side or the other. Russia was free to side with the Asian > giants or Europe or seek to unite both against us." > Happy Father's Day! William Mandel > -- > To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out." > You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net

    ________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.