[sixties-l] Re: sixties-l-Vietnam War

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 16:34:21 CUT

    Marty and I can agree to disagree on what might have happened if
    Humphrey had been supported by the movement (although a movement that
    would have supported HH never would have protested in Chicago in the
    first place), but I must take issue with his defense of Todd Gitlin.

    Todd was a good friend of mine in the 60s and and what risks he/we took
    were relatively minimal compared to what some others experienced. He
    even had something nice to say about me in his first book on the period.
     Does this put me under some obligation to be less than truthful in my
    criticism of his subsequent behavior? I think not. Marty says "It's not
    his fault the media seeks out his opinion." I think it is. The reason
    they seek him out is they know what he says will safely fit in the
    parameters that the mainstream media finds acceptable, which usually is
    expressed in some form of intellectual put-down of the movement that
    launched his very successful career. For those who didn't experience the
    Sixties, having him as "the interpreter" is certainly not likely to
    encourage the growth of a the new political movement that is so sorely needed.

    If anything should have separated him from us was Gitlin's decision to
    give blood at the beginning of the Gulf Bombardment and have NBC there
    to film it. How can such a cheap publicity trick be justified or
    classified as anything more than gross opportunism?

    He had already shown me his true colors nine years before when a small
    group of Jewish activists, myself among them, came together to put out
    an ad for Jews to sign, condemning Israel's bloody invasion of Lebanon
    in 1982 in the SF Chronicle. Of all the 40 or so people I called to sign
    the ad that headlined, "Menachem Begin Does Not Speak for Us," only
    three refused: an older cousin, a friend who had just taken a job at aTV
    studio and legitimately feared that signing the ad would be a
    career-ending move, and my friend Gitlin. I'll only sign the ad if it
    also condemns the PLO he told me. Just before we turned the names in,
    and Bill Mandel was one the signers, I called Todd again, to give him
    one more chance. Same response. In the end we had 300 signers and the ad
    received national publicity. Another ad, protesting the war, and signed
    by scores of Jewish academics was placed by Berkeley professor Bluma
    Goldstein in the NY Times. Todd didn't sign that one either.

    Jeff Blankfort

    > Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:54:34 -0400
    > From: Marty Jezer <mjez@sover.net>
    > Subject: Re: [sixties-l] Re: [Fwd: sixties-l-Vietnam War