Re: [sixties-l] modr8r note

From: Chris Shugart (profcdavid@redshift.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 20:09:50 CUT

    C. Christie, has echoed my thoughts almost word for word. Doesn't anybody
    on this list have a job? Or a life? For better or worse, the past is gone
    and we either learn to live with it or we don't.

    I'm starting to wonder if there's any truth to the notion that as one
    advances in age, one becomes more set in their ways. Or maybe it's more
    like what Mark Twain said about people who "had found the Truth. That was
    the end of the search. The man spent the rest of his life hunting up
    shingles wherewith to protect his Truth from the weather. In any case, he
    sought no further; but from that day forth, with his soldering-iron in one
    hand and his bludgeon in the other he tinkered its leaks and reasoned with
    objectors." (excerpt from What Is Man?)

    I think it would be instructive (and perhaps even therapeutic) to examine
    the ideas, issues, principles, etc., ordinarily associated with the Sixties
    and look at them in present time. Which ones still hold? Which ones turned
    out to be myths? Which ones worked? Which ones didn't? And what I believe
    is most important, what relevance does any of this have towards living a
    satisfying life, and achieving--dare I say it--happiness?

    Surely, we've all had to occasionally reevaluate certain notions,
    assumptions and ideologies. You can't tell me that no one on this list
    hasn't experienced more than once an uncomfortable revelation that
    concluded with "What the hell was I thinking?" I don't know about anybody
    else, but I hope that over time, I've been getting wiser.

    Now, if you'll excuse me, I must return to my normally scheduled life,
    which we now resume already in progress.

    Best to All,
    Chris Shugart