[sixties-l] Re: sixties-l-The Black Panthers

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 20:28:28 CUT

    I missed Horowitz's offer for false statements in this post which he
    says he is now repeating. What I would like to know, strictly in dollar
    terms, of course, is how much Horowitz is willing to pay and if they are
    false and if he is also willing to pay if they can be proven true?
    Readers of this list shoul;d be aware that David does have what is known
    in the trade as "deep pockets," or at least that is what one might
    conclude upon learning that the noble defender of American Freedom.
    Richard Mellon Scaife, contributed $500,000 to Horowitz's innocently
    named foundation, The Center for the Study of Popular Culture, in 1997,
    so presumably he has not only the time to spread his version of history
    and the money to back it as well.

    It was not Eldridge's claims against Huey that led to the distancing
    because, (A), Eldridge was not even in the country, (B), he therefore
    had limited contacts in the US and (C) what Huey was doing had become a
    matter of virtually public record.

    As for Erik Erikson, ivory tower intellectuals are among the most easily
    fooled or conned, and Huey was a bright, intelligent person, more than
    capable of doing just that.

    Horowitz says my "history" of police attacks on Panthers is pure
    fantasy. Is he willing to put some of Mr. Scaife Mellon's contribution
    on the line over that one. (He claims ignorance over the Pratt case, I
    think he is greatly understating his problem.)

    Elaine Brown's history, like that of Hilliard's is largely self-serving,
    and what her actual role in the BPP was is questionable. A memorable
    Elaine Brown story, as related to me by Atty. Luke McKissack way back
    when: During a Panther trial in LA, Huey' right-hand man, Melvin
    "Cotton" Smith, an undercover FBI agent (as I mentioned in an earlier
    post) was staying, believe it or not, at the home of Sgt. Callahan, the
    head of the LAPD SWAT team. When McKissack asked Brown if she didn't
    think there was something strange about a BPP official staying at the
    home of one of LA's top cops and a BPP enemy, Brown replied, "He needs
    protection."

    Horowitz wants the name of an activist(s) tried in the 60s and 70s and
    not acquitted. Geronimo, for one, but he misses my point and he knows
    it. Angela Davis who was a fine woman but by no stretch a dangerous
    revolutionary, and La Siete were acquitted by juries. Huey was freed by
    three judges. As for the reasons that none of the other Panthers
    mentioned went to Geronimo's defense was out of fear of Huey. As far as
    there being no COINTELPRO case against him, I presume DH believes that
    former FBI agent Wesley Swearingen who said there was makes him just
    another Panther-commie-symp like the rest of us. And how about Julius
    Butler, who was a LAPD agent who had infiltrated the party and whose
    testimony without the jury knowing who he really was, was a figment of
    our and Pratt's imagination. I will not bother to read DH's article on
    the case since it obviously contains the same kind of trash be has put
    on this list. That he admits to not knowing about the Pratt case when
    it happened is just another example of his political isolation.

    Horowitz conveniently forgets our conversation from '69 which is not a
    small thing since we were on a trans-Atlantic call and he had Collier
    had just taken over Ramparts and were forming a new staff. He is correct
    about the financial abuses of the previous editorial board whose checks
    bounced in every bank in San Francisco. I didn't say virtually. I said
    every. Putting the salary in the bank as I suggested was not rejected
    by Horowitz at the time, but of course, he will have no recollection of
    that.

    And as for his "opinions" on who was responsible for the deaths of
    Vietnamese, I should say that while I did anti-war with GIs during the
    war and with vets afterward, by no stretch of the imagination, did I
    consider the US military fighting in Vietnam my comrades. Later, working
    with the VVAW I did. More than that, I considered and still do to this
    day, that the US pilots who dropped the bombs and the napalm and the
    cluster bombs on Vietnam and Laos where many of them are killing people
    even as I write this to be war criminals and Horowitz to be clearly, and
    by his own words, a defender of those war crimes.

    Jeff Blankfort