[sixties-l] Vietnam War Memorials

From: Joe McDonald (joe@countryjoe.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 23:23:20 CUT

    > In the last few years i have performed 2 times at the Vietnam Veterans
    > Memorial in Washington DC, both Memorial Day and Veterans Day of the 10
    > Anniversary year. i am listed on their stationary as a member of the
    > Honorary Advisory Committee and have been since 1982. i have built the
    > world's first ever interactive war memorial on the City of Berkeley
    > California Home Page, its 4th Anniversary will be this Veterans Day 2000. i
    > was instrumental in having a bronze placque installed permanently on the
    > City of Berkeley Veterans' Memorial Building. i was instrumental in having
    > the City of Beacon, New York, the home town of the folk singer Peter
    > Seeger, honor its Vietnam War Casualties. i have been working now for 5
    > years on getting the city of San Francsico California to honor it's 162
    > Vietnam War Casualites with a bronze placque and also an internet Memorial
    > Site. i plan to discuss the same with Mayor Jerry Brown of Oakland
    > California to coincide with the Oakland Museum's 2003 exhibit NEXT STOP IS
    > VIETNAM. i have facilitated the presence on a travelling Vietnam War
    > Memorial in the City of Berkeley, and San Francisco, California. i was
    > instrumental in having a travelling Vietnam War Memorial present at the
    > 30th Anniversary Celebration in Golden Gate Park a few years back and a
    > reading of all of the names of those Americans killed in the American War
    > in Vietnam during the Summer of Love.

    As a U S Navy volunteer enlistee and honorably discharged Vietnam War Era
    Veteran i assume the responsibility of honoring the deaths of my comrades in
    the military during that conflict. As the only visible person from my
    generation who is not only a known anti war activist, a red diaper baby and a
    Vietnam Era military veteran i have taken it upon myself to try and
    facilitate the wounds inflicted upon my generation by the American War in
    Vietnam. i am not ashamed of my anti war activities, my Communist background
    nor my military service.

    i am curious if the list has any comments or thoughts on this subject of
    memorializing the American Vietnam War dead.

    cheers, country joe mcdonald

    -- "Ira Furor Brevis Est " - Anger is a brief madness

    country joe Home Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
    country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale
    <http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale>
    Berkeley Vietnam Veterans Memorial
    <http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Links/Comm/vvm>
    Rag Baby Online Magazine <http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine>