Re: [sixties-l] Fwd: Fascism In a Pin Striped Suit - Dr Michael Parenti

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 21:43:41 CUT

    I disagree fundamentally with Parenti. I qualify on every one of
    his counts to be one of those who should agree. I am not
    affluent. My views do not fit into the mainstream (and my views
    on what constitutes fascism have not changed in the slightest in
    65 years). I have rich experience with repression: twenty-seven
    years of blacklisting from academic employment, 1947-1969;
    eighteen years of blacklisting from publication of my books,
    1946-1964; a dozen years of blacklisting from professional
    lecturing, and most of a lifetime of blacklisting from salaried
    journalism, 1945 to date. To continue with his list of
    qualifications: I was under surveillance for decades and, for all
    I know, may still be.
        Why, then, do I disagree? In Saying No To Power, I describe
    correspondence in 1982 with a prisoner in Folsom who listened to
    my KPFA broadcasts: "Despite the clarity of the sentences I
    quoted, part of his letter made comparisons between this country
    and Nazi Germany. This gave me the chance to state a point of
    view that I find very pertinent when people confuse the
    appearance of militias, the destruction of the Oklahoma City
    federal office building by terrorist bombing with hundreds of
    deaths, the Ruby Ridge shootout, and the government's own
    military assault and burning out of a religious sect at Waco,
    Texas, with fasism. I wrote hom:
        "'U.S. "book-burning, union busting, arming, hysteria..."
    etc., to quote you, are extremely mild, except for the arming,
    compared to Nazi Germany. No prisoner of the Nazis would be
    allowed to write a letter like yours, or receive one like this.
    Don't oversimplify'." (p.499)
        Overestimation of the danger of fascism and misreading of the
    actual situation in the country has done great damage. In the
    late 1940s, the Communist Party, of which I was a member, and
    which was then by a very wide margin the most important Left
    organization in the country (100,000 members in 1944), concluded
    that fascism was around the corner. (I did not agree.) It sent
    its best members underground for years, and thereby cut them off
    from any possibility of mass influence when that was of utmost
    importance in fighting Truman's Loyalty Oath hysteria and the
    McCarthy years that followed. CRYING WOLF IS SELF-DESTRUCTIVE.
        If this country were fascist, or remotely like it, today,
    this discussion via e-mail would be out of the question. The
    academic 60s veterans who comprise most of this list would not be
    holding professorships. No friendly movie would have been made
    about Abbie Hoffman, Stew Albert, Jerry Rubin. No sympathetic
    documentary, "KPFA On the Air," would be shown on the public TV
    network, as will occur on Sept. 19th. There would be no need for
    the president to have the Washington police deal with A16 in a
    manner enabling them to say that the dissidents held their
    protest yet the meetings of the world organization of finance
    capital went ahead as scheduled.
        Parenti describes the horrendous oppression of militant
    Blacks and their leaders. We do not know at this moment whether
    Mumia will live. But we do know that it has been possible for him
    to be heard on the air from his prison cell, for his books to be
    published, for his tapes and those of his supporters to circulate
    nationwide. Of course that took struggle. But most of the
    strugglers, including Parenti and myself and my son who organized
    the formal teach-in on Mumia in the Oakland schools, have faced
    no reprisals, although several individuals have.
       I have broadcast the last few years on an illegal, pirate,
    unlicensed, "undocumented" radio station, and have challenged the
    authorities to go after me. Thus far they haven't. The reason has
    to do with the difference between fascism and bourgeois
    democracy. Under the former I would have been taken care of one
    way or another long since. But in the present society they have
    to count votes. They know that elections are often won by
    exceedingly narrow margins. And they know that in Berkeley, where
    this low-power (but enough power to cover the city) station is
    located, they would be stirring up a hornet's nest, with
    repercussions far beyond that city, to go after a man of
    eighty-three who enjoys a degree of public standing.
                                 William Mandel
                                                William Mandel

    --
    To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out."
    You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net