Re: [sixties-l] Re:Horowitz and "discussion"

From: David Horowitz (Dhorowitz@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 21:12:36 CUT

    Radical Son is not a polemic, and no reasonable person would mistake it for one.

    You make a lot of points, which I regret I don't have time to answer in this email.
    Let me take two. 1) I single out SOME of the Panthers. Actually I mentioned all of
    the significant Panther leaders, nationally, except Eldridge. And everyone knows
    Eldridge was a criminal. 2) you describe the Panthers as the "collective effort of an
    abused population" -- abused by the police etc. In what way were Huey Newton and
    Bobby Seale, to take two examples, abused by the police or by America. They were both
    going to college. Huey was actually a criminal going to college, by his own
    autobiographical account. His father wasn't a criminal. His brother Melvin wasn't a
    criminal. How was he abused? And please, don't insult my intelligence by giving me
    the race line. Read Huey's autobiography. You won't find a lot of grievances about
    racial discrimination. His biggest problem as a kid was other black kids beating him
    up because he had a sissy name.