Re: [sixties-l] Don't trust anyone over...

From: Scott Kerlin (skerlin@teleport.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 20:39:36 CUT

    Sandra, this gave me a chuckle too, since I was teaching the sixties last
    term to a group of senior university students whose average age, except
    for one, was less than half mine (and I'm a mere kid at 46--my wife a more
    "core" sixties veteran at 53). When I showed the film "Berkeley in the
    Sixties" I realized none of them had even been born by the time the decade
    had ended. Now that's a scary thought! (grin)

    But my favorite story was of a conversation my wife overheard at her
    university in Portland one day last term, when a group of young undergrads
    were talking about rock music. One mentioned Paul McCartney and another
    said to her, "Oh yeah, wasn't he in some band even *before* Wings?"

    Scott Kerlin
    Lifelong Sixties Activist in Spirit
    http://www.teleport.com/~skerlin

    On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Sandra Hollin Flowers wrote:

    > I've been chuckling at the posts recalling our memorable "Don't trust
    > anyone over 30" motto. In explaining it to an undergrad audience a few
    > years ago, I put it this way: "When we were in our 20's, we used to
    > say, 'Don't trust anyone over 30.' Then when we got into our 30's and
    > 40's we upped the limit by a decade at each milestone. Now, that we're
    > all pushing 50 and 60, we've learned better. Now we say, 'Don't trust
    > anyone who's not breathing.'"
    >
    > Sandra

    skerlin@teleport.com Public Access User -- Not affiliated with Teleport
    Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016