[sixties-l] a plea

From: Ted Morgan (epm2@lehigh.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 16:24:45 CUT

    Folks,
    I was dumbfounded to discover the 55 messages, almost all from 60s-l,
    this morning. I have to say that I empathize with Joe McDonald's
    frustration and agree with Stew Albert' read. List folks should realize
    there's no real enlightenment to be gained by an "exchange" with David
    Horowitz on this one. There has certainly been --substantiated by
    different sources-- thuggishness, violence, and criminality among the
    ranks of the Panthers and/or their followers. For Horowitz, that
    apparently defines the Panthers. For others on this list, myself
    included, it doesn't. But equally clearly, Horowitz goes well beyond an
    insistence that "the Left" (which he sees as universally embracing
    everything about the Panthers) acknowledge this fact, into arenas of
    sweeping selective generalization, ad hominem attack, and blatant
    inaccuracy regarding people on the Left. [David, perhaps you can
    appreciate the irony of your situation; no one on the Left is likely to
    take your word for the "facts" about the Panthers, because the
    additional 'baggage' of your attacks undermines your credibility.]

    Arguments about this would seem to go nowhere, so it would seem prudent
    to let it go or at least not get 'hooked' into the same kind of
    denunciation. If necessary, perhaps the moderator could be a little
    more pro-active in screening ad hominem attacks, at an earlier point in
    the discussion. But, don't go, Joe; hopefully, this, too will pass!

    Ted Morgan

    P.S. Good post, Marty!
    PP.S. So, who the hell is this Richard Poe that every single one of
    David's responses is copied to?