[sixties-l] Re: sixties-l-The Black Panthers

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 22:49:35 CUT

    As someone who spent a considerable time with the Panthers both in
    Oakland and Los Angeles, before and after the split in the party, I find
    the various critiques of the BPP from those who knew it either from a
    limited association (Horowitz) or from some distance (Pearson) to be
    largely government-serving propaganda pieces designed to rewrite the
    history of what was one of the most important groups on the 60s
    political scene.

    Horowitz, who apparently after writing a history of the Rockefellers,
    became enamored of their life-style, only became involved with the
    Panthers after the split, during which most of the transgressions that
    he, Pearson, and others decry, took place, and the BPP had become a very
    different organization from what it was while Netwon was in prison, one
    that coincidentally, had been heavily infiltrated by the FBI as part of
    its COINTELPRO operation.

    The notion that COINTELPRO was a wholly new invention on the part of the
    FBI at the time, and/or that it has put an end to the practices it used,
    successfully, against the BPP and other key forces in the political
    movements of the time, is based on a limited knowledge of the long
    history of the US government's war on dissidents. COINTELPRO was simply
    the name given to the process at that time.

    To add to what Art McGee has already put forth, I would remind those who
    may have forgotten that two aspects of the BPP's existence on the scene
    have largely been neglected. The first is the transformation that took
    place in the communities where the Panthers had a presence. In San
    Francisco and Oakland, for example, they became political role models
    where none had existed before replacing the glorification of getting
    into "the life." And they became an inspiration to other non-Anglo
    communities leading to the founding of organizations like the Brown
    Berets, the Young Lords, and the I Wor Kuen.

    Instead of the government-inspired "gang wars" that we have seen since
    all of these groups were destroyed, we had Brown Berets and Panthers
    standing together in front of the Alameda Court House and and at BPP
    rallies. Inside the prisons, prisoners, taking their cues from the
    outside, began to be politicized and a strong revolutionary message from
    inside, exemplified but not limited by any means to George Jackson began
    to be heard. All this represented a major threat to the system that
    went beyond anything the SDS was capable of, and the government reacted
    accordingly. A story yet to be written is how the government, through
    infiltration of drugs into the prisons, stimulated the creation of the
    present gang-structure which it uses as an excuse for building and
    maintaining the Corcorans and Pelican Bays.

    Inernationally, the Panthers became recognized as a powerful and potent
    voice for black liberation, and were one of the inspirations for the
    student revolt in France and elsewhere in '68. Mistakes, misjudgements,
    sure they made them. But why what standard of revolutionary stuggle and
    successes in this country are their critics measuring them?