[sixties-l] Re: sixties-l-terrorist???

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 23:07:06 CUT

    Actually, most Jews prior to the establishment of Israel in 1948
    considered bith the Stern Gang and the Irgun, headed by Menachem Begin,
    to be "terrorist" gangs. In fact, an advertisement that appeared in the
    NY Times and signed by many leading Jews such as Albert Einstein,
    describing, not inappropriately, Begin as a fascist, proved to be an
    embarrassment when Begin was elected prime minister in 1977. It was at
    that time, with the need to convince the US public that it was necessary
    to continue support of Israel despite Begin's presence, that the notion
    of Israel as a "US gendarme in the Midle East" was created. For a
    variety of reasons, this rationalization of US support for the Begin
    regime was embraced across the political spectrum, despite any evidence
    that Israel has ever played this role. In fact, when Lebanon was
    experiencing a democratic challenge to its reactionary regime in 1958,
    it was the US military and not Israel that stepped in, and in 1991,
    during the Gulf "War," Israel was directed to sit on the sidelines.
    Again, in 1983, the US sent troops to Lebanon again, to assist an
    Israeli-installed government after Israel proved unequal to the task.

    Personally, I don't think "terrorist" is necessarily a bad word.
    Certainly, the concept of "state terror" as employed by the US, Israel
    and Turkey, to cite three examples that come to mind, is a good
    description of what those countries are frequently involved in.

    Jeff Blankfort