Re: [sixties-l] Brewing hatred of the baby boomer generation

From: David Smith (dls101@acadia.net)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 02:36:02 CUT

    I think we have great work before us. this is interesting that there is
    dislike the baby boomers. I think of Tom Brokaw's book The Greatest
    Generation. I think that those of us from the 60's can gain the respect of
    people in the US. My brother just succeed in stoping his small town from
    dumping sewage from treatment plants in fields near a lovely river in his
    town. When it came to a vote at town meeting the town voted overwhelminly
    against dumping the sewage.For myself those of us who came to Maine in 1971
    from Boston(mostly Northeastern Univ. SDS) have made a significant impact on
    the area, a positive impact. I mostly taught school in the Belfast ME area
    for many years and have gained the respect of many people up here. Now
    working on a great community project, working to build a Skatepark in
    Belfast.
         Back to my first thought about a lot of work before us. I wonder if
    there is a renewed commitment to organizing, getting openly political, from
    those of us who were active in the 60's and have been "laying low" for these
    many years. I am "coming out of the closet." Having experienced an overdose
    of terror in the 60's I did crave a "normal life."
         I remember saying, "I am a revolutionary" and now must face the reality
    that I am certainly a radical, an activist. There are such important issues
    before us, universal health care being one of the big ones.
    So long for now,
    davidel