Re: [sixties-l] terrorist???

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 19:48:29 CUT

    The word terrorist is subjective, in the eyes of the beholder.

    The Brits would have considered the Minutemen terrorists.
    I would consider the South between Reconstruction and the civil war era as
    run by terrorists.
    Israelis thought the PLO a terrorist organization and the Stern Gang patriots.
    The Palestinians thought the Stern Gang terrorists and the PLO patriots.

    "Terrorism" is a propagandist term and should be placed (delicately) in
    the trash bin of history.

    The Weatherman were more than confrontational, however. I mean radical
    pacifists were also confrontational. I respect (and knew and know) many
    who chose the Weathern route.
    I think they (and SDS as a whole after 69 or 70) must bare some
    responsibility for the destruction of the movement and the rise of the
    right. But that's a larger topic.

    Marty Jezer

    >Subject: "terrorists"
    >
    >>and I agree, the weather people could hardly be called terrorist,
    confrontationalist definitely ...

    --
    Marty Jezer  *  22 Prospect St. *  Brattleboro, VT 05301 * p/f  802 257-5644

    Author: Stuttering: A Life Bound Up in Words (Basic Books) Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel (Rutgers University Press) The Dark Ages: Life in the USA, 1945-1960 (South End Press) Rachel Carson [American Women of Achievement Series] (Chelsea House) Check out my web page: http://www.sover.net/~mjez To subscribe to my Friday commentary, simply request to be put on my mailing list. It's free!