Re: [sixties-l] Brewing hatred of the baby boomer generation

From: Ted Morgan (epm2@lehigh.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 15:58:46 CUT

    Thanks for passing that one along, Brent. This has been happening for quite a
    looooong time!!! Going back, in fact, into the 60s. But check out columns that
    mention the 60s by George Will, Jonathan Yardley, Charles Krauthammer, to name
    only a few of the perennial ones; and Time, in particular, has been reducing the
    60s to a sell-out, self-indulgent "boomer" generation for years! Check out Lance
    Morrow's occasional editorials on the subject. I've been collecting samples for
    a while --and would appreciate any others that list folks might pass along....
    One chapter in my book will be on the 60s-bashing campaigns --what are
    essentially selective propagandistic 'blasts' against a decontextualized
    "Sixties. Another will be on the way the media --in post-60s years-- have
    contributed to this via films, ads, news accounts that similarly 'reduce' the
    Sixties to a generational phenomenon, highlight the usual images of violence,
    blissed-out-hippies, etc. The two "strains" of media culture "Sixties" feed on
    and reinforce each other and force "out" of public visibility and public memory
    the various inspiring and by-implication radical histories of people mobilizing
    to challenge oppression, injustice, and change the world around them (in the
    process, in many cases, 'reconstructing' their own 'identities.').
    Ted