[sixties-l] Music of OUR generationS

From: Sandra Hollin Flowers (flowers_s@mercer.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 05:41:09 CUT

    Scott Kerlin asks about

    > websites that give a similar introduction to the social/political
    > aspects of sixties music (both protest folk/rock and the changing
    >nature of rock music over the decade, especially black music influences).

    Not exactly an answer to that question, but perhaps something that would
    be of interest to Scott and others: Three summers ago I downloaded a
    priceless list from rockhall.com--top songs of the week for scores of
    weeks beginning with 7/9/55 and going into 1991. No year on the list
    includes all 52 weeks, and some are just snipets of a year. Sorta like
    fragments from an archeological dig. The list becomes increasingly
    meager from the '70s on, but the late '50s and virtually all of the '60s
    are fairly well represented. Among the following sample hit songs during
    the month of June, for instance, there's surely something to stir
    memories in every heart on Sixties-L.

    6/15/56 Elvis Presley, "Heartbreak Hotel"
    6/9/58 Everly Bros, "All I Have to Do is Dream"
    6/1/59 Wilbert Harrison, "Kansas City"
    6/27/60 Hollywood Argyles, "Alley-Oop"
    6/5/61 Shirelles, "Mama Said"
    6/2/62 Ray Charles, "I Can't Stop Loving You"
    6/15/63 Kyu Sakamoto, "Sukiyaki"
    6/6/64 Beatles, "Love Me Do"
    6/12/65 Supremes, "Back in My Arms Again"
    6/24/66 Rolling Stones, "Paint It Black"
    6/3/67 Aretha! "Respect"
    6/22/68 Simon & Garfunkel, "MacArthur Park"
    6/29/69 Marvin Gaye, "Too busy Thinking About My Baby"
    6/29/70 Three Dog Night, "Mama told Me (Not to Come)"
    6/20/71 Carpenters, "Rainy Days & Mondays"
    6/4/72 Roberta Flack, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"
    6/17/74 Paul McCartney & Wings, "Band on the Run"

    As the list entries becomes more fragmented from here on out, "Band on
    the Run" is a fitting end to this trip. BTW, the rockhall.com page where
    the list was posted is no longer functional. I'd love to know if
    anyone's discovered a similar site.

    Happy memories,

    S. Flowers