Re: [sixties-l] "Generation" as the wrong focus

From: William M King (kingwm@spot.colorado.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 13:44:26 CUT

    Neil, what do you see as the salient characteristics of the periodization of the
    sixties that would allow us to separate them as you suggest? In a course, "The
    Sixties: Critical Black Views," I am teaching here this summer, I talk about
    optimism, doubt, and disenchantment as three emphases that flow from the
    experiences of black people during that time. Do you have some other criteria
    in mind that would permit an easier connection between pre-babes and babes and
    the subperiodization you call for?

    Thanks

    William M King
    Professor and coordinator