Re: [sixties-l] "Generation" as the wrong focus

From: monkerud (monkerud@scruznet.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 02:06:02 CUT

    Ted,
    You state the matrix well. What can I say except that I agree?

    The other aspect, only an elaboration, is the number of people who
    retreated, and perhaps were never very committed anyway, and I mean
    retreated way back... such that they don't even want to have their names
    associated with any of the ideals that they once held.

    Much of what happened occured because of friendships and group affinities
    rather than because people believed in any particular politics.

    And we don't appear to have provided any continuity. Free markets is the
    rage today but has that not gone about as far as it can before there's a
    swing back to the ideas we spoke of and tried to bring to fruition in the
    60s?

    best, Don