[sixties-l] Will the sixties have its "Gone with the Wind"?

From: BrentLance@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 19:59:21 CUT

    Jeff Apfel,

    You have an interesting perspective and one that I've seen before: It is an
    insurmountable challenge to capture the sixties outside the Vietnam soldier
    framework without falling prey to cliches and idiosyncratic reminiscing -- a
    hollow nostalgia. That may explain the paucity of sixties' literature -- both
    critically and commercially successful fiction -- outside the Vietnam war
    experience.

    We just honored the 25th anniversary of the ending of the Vietnam War and the
    30th anniversary of the Kent State Massacre. With the passage of time has
    come perspective and maturity -- and maybe even market readiness. Writers
    should now be able to capture the adventure and meaning of the domestic
    sixties with more universally satisfying characters, stories and anecdotes,
    while entertaining and enlightening in the traditions of quality fiction.

    You may be aware that members of this list plan to create a Web site to serve
    as an anthology of sample chapters from their sixties-focused novels -- some
    finished, some underway. Those willing to take this leap must have faith that
    a new genre awaits its heroes.

    I am interested in yours and other's comments about this.

    Brent