[sixties-l] Re: Will the sixties have its "Gone with the Wind"?

From: Jeffrey Apfel (japfel@risd.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 21:05:31 CUT

    Nostalgia is death to good fiction, I suspect. After all, its essence is a kind
    of sugar-coating, or at least a willful misunderstanding of the jagged edges of
    the past. That's why it's seductive, and fun. But real people don't live their
    lives in Currier and Ives. Nostalgia puts the big picture--whether an idyllic
    town common or the summer of love--so much in the foreground that it strangles
    the idiosyncrasies, human foibles and petty tragedies that animate great
    narratives.

    Peter Fonda's world-weary and guilt-ridden record producer in The Limey is in one
    sense a revisionist slam at the sixties--but at least the character has the
    positive attribute of recognizable human frailty. I think you are right that,
    when authors are able to gain sufficient critical distance, the stories that they
    tell will be about the predicaments of life as it is lived, and not about the
    wonders of a magic moment in time.

    Stories like Gone With the Wind and The Unbearable Lightness of Being bring the
    problems of individuals and the larger social forces around them into a wonderful
    balance. It would be nice if some of the contributions to this group could
    achieve something of that.

    Jeff Apfel