[sixties-l] new film on SDS

From: Sdsrebels@aol.com
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 18:12:51 CUT

    As some of you know, Ive been working on REBELS WITH A CAUSE, a documentary
    film on SDS, for a number of years now. And, just as this list revives, the
    film (109 minutes) is now done. It will open at the Seattle Film Festival
    June 1 (also June 3). Im a former SDS activist (Harvard, Asst Natl
    Secretary 1964-5, SDSs Hoboken ERAP project 1965-7, then California) and the
    film includes interview with 28 former local activists and national leaders.
    We havent figured out distribution yet (& well be out of the country from
    after the Seattle Fest until end June) so will be unreachable (please dont
    send emails til July and then to sdsrebels@aol.com). Letters to 26873 Hester
    Creek Rd, Los Gatos, CA 95033 will get to us as soon as we get back. We have
    a minimal web site that will have more information when we get back: www.sdsr
    ebels.com. Well put more information on this list then as well. We hope to
    take the film around to theaters and campuses beginning this fall. If youre
    near Seattle, come see us at the festival. If youd like to have us come to
    your campus, let us know.

    Helen Garvy, producer/director; Robert Pardun, associate producer
    FEATURING: Jane Adams, Bill Ayers, Carolyn Craven, Carl Davidson, Bernardine
    Dohrn,
    Alice Embree, Dick Flacks, Todd Gitlin, Carol Glassman, Juan Gonzalez, Alan
    Haber, Casey Hayden, Tom Hayden, Mark Kleiman, Sue Eanet Klonsky, Sharon
    Jeffrey Lehrer, Steve Max, Jeff Shero Nightbyrd, Carl Oglesby, Robert Pardun,
    Judy Schiffer Perez, Bob Ross, Vivian Leburg Rothstein, Mike Spiegel,
    Elizabeth Stanley, Marilyn Salzman Webb, Cathy Wilkerson, Junius Williams

        REBELS WITH A CAUSE
    A film on of the hopes, rebellions, and repression of the 1960s told by
    members of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS), the largest student
    organization of the 1960s.

    Students for a Democratic Society was a uniquely American home-grown movement
    that grew and evolved in response to the times and spanned a decade during
    which the United States and the student movement changed dramatically.

    The film traces SDS from its origins as an organization inspired by the civil
    rights movement and concerned with civil rights, economic justice, peace, and
    participatory democracy and follows its transformation into a hard-hitting
    protest movement, whose mounting preoccupation with the Vietnam War was
    instrumental both in the end of the war, and the end of a splintered SDS in
    1970. Along the way, a whole generation was profoundly changed at the same
    time it helped transform America.

    Sorry to send this just as we leave town, but I thought people would like to
    know it's done. (For those interested, note that the film also includes
    interesting material on the early women's movement and FBI). I'll be in
    touch again when we get back.

    Helen Garvy
    sdsrebels@aol.com

    26873 Hester Creek Rd