Re: Subject: Conscientious objectors as protagonists in fiction

Steve Warren (steve.warren@creativeloafing.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:57:38 -0500

I know it only from the film version, but "Friendly Persuasion" was based
on a novel by Jessamyn West. It was about a Quaker family and their
difficulties in adhering to nonviolence.

My own experience in the army in 1964 was like a work of fiction. I hadn't
really thought about being a CO until they started training me to kill.
When I tried to get reclassified I wasn't permitted to talk to anyone until
I had completed basic training; then I went through the same dialogue with
officers in two different departments:

"I'm a conscientious objector."
"Did you fire a rifle in basic training?"
"Yes, but at cardboard silhouettes, not living things."
"If you fired a rifle you're not a conscientious objector."

That was the day I stopped being an American in my heart.

Steve Warren <thinhead@iname.com>

P.S. I still haven't killed anyone.