Re: Draft dodging (multiple responses)

Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:47:02 -0500

Hey, don't you folks in Minnesota read books? There are lots of good
histories of the anti-war movement and draft resitance (as distinguised
from draft dodging). Check out Alice Lynd's "We Won't Go" (Beacon Press) (I
have an essay describing my participation in one of the first organized
draft card burnings;
Staughton Lynd and Mike Ferber's "The Resistance," and David Harris'
"Dreams Die Hard." For context, check out Gitlin's "Days of Hope," one of
many good books on the movement.

If you can find on microfilm issues of Win Magazine and Liberation, check
them out. Especially between 66 and 69 when resistance was being organized.
Liberation, Nov '67, had a special issue on the Resistance.

There was a guy I know who ate his draft card and there was a guy in
Minnesota named Barry Bondhus who did something with a bucket of shit at
his draft board, I forget what, but it was in an issue of Win.

The important point, draft resisters openly confronted the draft, resisted
in public and challenged the courts to throw them in jail. Many went to
jail, but the government (especially when Ramey Clark was A-G) was wary of
provoking a confrontation with the college-educated children of the white
middle-class. Folks in the Resistence believed that if enough of us defied
the system it would provoke such widespead resitance (and dodging) that it
would destroy the draft. The govt apparently feared that. And, in part, it
worked. Nixon ended the draft to avoid such a confrontation. And it worked
in the sense that working class guys, saw middle-class whites, getting out
of the draft and started asking why they were being asked to fight the war.

Resistance people used to go to draft induction centers early every morning
and hand out information on conscientious objection. Though we advocated
open resistance we supported all efforts to dodge the draft or get
conscientious objection. Many resisters were eligible for c.o. status but
rejected it because they believe it was cooperating with the system and the
only way to end the war was to not cooperate.

A lot of resisters served 3-4 year terms. Don't know what the average was.

Marty Jezer

Marty Jezer,

Stuttering: A Life Bound Up in Words (Basic Books)
Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel (Rutgers University Press)
The Dark Ages: Life in the USA, 1945-1960 (South End Press)
Rachel Carson [American Women of Achievement Series] (Chelsea House)

Check out my web page (under construction) at http://www.sover.net/~mjez