Re: Bringing the war home (multiple posts)

sixties-l@lists.village.virginia.edu
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 12:32:37 -0500

(1)
In a message dated 98-12-09 17:36:54 EST, Country
Joe writes:

[Someone's earlier comment]

> The gender war still continues.
> The vast majority of Afro-American men are still as
> male-chauvinist as ever. They refer quite openly to
> women as bitches and holes. And the attitude of
> some Afro-American women is less than exemplary.

[Country Joe's reply]

>aside from this posting having a typo "holes" meaning "hoes"
>short for whores, this is just pure racist rant. i am surprize
>that it got posted. i would like to see the statistics and
>references for this statement if it is really more than just
>a rude flip comment. cheers, country joe mcdonald

I agree with Country Joe that "holes" was an error. The
term "ho's" is Ebonics, or urban black dialect, for whores.
I never listen to gangsta rap, unless someone is driving
by my house aggressively blasting it out from a loud
auto stereo. From what I've read about it, the "rappas"
are very misogynistic and frequently use such language
as "bitches" and "ho's" to describe women.

The National Political Congress of Black Women finds
gangsta rap to be very offensive and has called for a
boycott of it. The market for gangsta rap appears to be
mostly males under 35, and white youth buy these
recordings also. It is the noise of choice for their
boom cars.

-- Michael Wright

(2)