Query: 60s course proposal (multiple responses)

sixties-l@lists.village.virginia.edu
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 17:53:40 -0500

[1]

From: barbara winslow <Purplewins@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Query: 60s course proposal (multiple responses)

Just out. The Feminist Memoir Project: Voices from Women's Liberation,
published by Crown Press. It includes memoirs about the wlm in the
sixtie= s by participants including: Amy Kesselman, Heather Booth,
Naomi Weissten, Vivian Rothstein, Barbara Emerson, Dana Densmore,
Roxanne Dunbar, Elizabe= th (Betita) Martinez, Barbara Epstein,
Anselma Dell'Olio, Jo Freeman, Carol Hanisch, Rosalyn Fraad Baxandall,
Barbara Winslow, Lourdes Beneria, AliceWolfson, Alix Kates Shulman,
Nadine Taub, Meredith Tax, Priscilla Long, Joan Nestle, Nancy Spero,
Vivian Gornick, Barbara Omolade, Minnie Bruce Pratt, Paula Allen, Eve
Ensler, Michelle Wallace, Yvonne Ranier, Shirley Geok-lin Lim, Annette
Rosga, Meg Satterthwaite, Barbara Smith, Ellen Willis, Beverly
Guy-Sheftall and Kate Millett. Too many books about the sixties just
add on the women's liberation movement, or place it in the '70's. I
think this book will place the wlm clearly in the sixties (whatever
your sixties time period is)
____________________________

[2]

From: Marty Jezer <mjez@sover.net>

For Vietnam Vets and relations with anti-war movement I recommend THE
SPITTING IMAGE by Jerry Lembcke. He's a Vietnam Vet who exposes
(demolishes!) as myth the charge that hippies and protestors were always
spitting on returning GIs.

Marty Jezer

Stuttering: A Life Bound Up in Words (Basic Books)
Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel (Rutgers University Press)
The Dark Ages: Life in the USA, 1945-1960 (South End Press)
Rachel Carson [American Women of Achievement Series] (Chelsea House)

Check out my web page (under construction) at http://www.sover.net/~mjez
____________________________________

[3]

From: Stephen Denney <sdenney@igc.apc.org>

I don't have the impression that the various books written on the
anti-war movement and the sixties covered the debate that took place
within the anti-war movement over how to relate to the North Vietnam/NLF
side; yet after the war ended a very divisive debate did take place
among activists on a related issue, namely repression and human rights
violations under the new regime in Vietnam.
- Steve Denney
sdenney@igc.org
________________________________

[4]

From: Stu Shiffman and Andi Shechter <roscoe@halcyon.com>
Subject: course proposal and selling out

IAN L -

For fiction, although it's a bit dated, I always have found Marge Piercy's
Small Changes to show how some women came to feminism during those years.
And like others here, I'd say "The War at Home and "Berkeley in hte 60s"
are essential films. I found Gitlin's "The Sixties" a little harder to
get through than most folks, but it's considered a major text. Walt
Crowley's Rites of Passage" is a rather personal look at the times and has
a _fantastic_ time line in it.Kunen's The Strawberry Statement is one I
constantly go back to. Wells' The War Within and Anderson's The Movement
and the Sixties are possibilities, as is Tom Bates' Rads, which actually
left me w/more questions than answers when I was done. And I think Marty
Jezer's bio of Abbie Hoffman would help a lot in understanding one of the
key players of those times, and trying to get wht it was about.

As for selling out - Everyone's definition of commitment may be as
different as their definition of selling out. Did someone sel out by
taking a job that was not in the public sector? Buying a new car? I'm sure
some hard-core folks would think so, but is there any way to clarify exctly
what we mean? I mean, "joining the opposition" still is too vague. The
establishment _is_ where some of the good jobs are, where the cars are,
where the apartments are. I have to agree w/Ron Jacobs who points to DAvid
Horowitz as a sell-out. Denying what you believed in and pretending it was
all a joke. It's dishonest.

Andi

"[G]eography is only physics slowed down and with a few trees stuck on
it..." FEET OF CLAY, Terry Pratchett
_____________________________

[5]

From: epm2@lehigh.edu (TED MORGAN)

More 60s course stuff (isn't this a recycled discussion?).... I have
used with good success: (1) my own "Sixties Experience: Hard Lessons
about Modern America" (Temple 92) as an organizing tool for the
course, (2) Breines & Bloom's "Takin' it to the Streets" as an
excellent reader of 60s samples on most " movement" experiences
(though not on vietnam war per se)., (3) The Autobiography of Malcolm
X (a must read, as I see it; so important then and relevant to today's
students, too); (4) Marilyn Young's Vietnam wars (always considering
changing this because it's difficult for student; but there's no other
history that compares for critical documentation that I know) -- I may
use David Harris' Our War as a sub-- and xeroxed essays on the war &
both war /antiwar experience, (5) a student-choice autobiography (like
Jane Alpert's Growing up Underground, or Ray Mungo's Total Loss Farm,
or Bill Ehrhart's Vietnam-Perkasie), and (6) Howard Zinn's "You Can't
Stay Neutral on a Moving Train" to address the issues of activism then
& now. Ted Morgan

Department of Political Science
Maginnes Hall #9
Lehigh University