Women in SNCC (multiple responses)

SIXTIES-L (SIXTIES-L@jefferson.village.Virginia.EDU)
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:09:06 -0500

[1]

From: Phyl Newbeck <pnewbeck@zoo.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Query: Women in SNCC

>I have chosen to explore the role of women
>in the Civil Rights Movement, probably with an emphasis on women in
>SNCC.

Unfortunately Mary King's book, "Freedom Song," is out of print, but it is
one of the best sources regarding women in SNCC. Other books are Sally
Belfrage's "Freedom Summer" and a new biography of Ruby Doris Robinson
called "Soon we will not cry" by Cynthia Griggs Fleming.

-Phyl
__________________________

[2]

From: "James L. Wood" <jwood@mail.sdsu.edu>

See the debate in the Berkeley Journal of Sociology of, I think, 1971-1972,
between Marlene Dixon and Ann Leffler & Dair Gillespie. See also Barrie
Thorne's article on women in the draft resistance movement (she is in
Sociology at U.C. Berkeley). And see several references in Marx and Wood's
collective behavior article in the Annual Review of Sociology, Vol. 1
(1975). Good luck, Jim Wood

James L. Wood <jwood@mail.sdsu.edu>

[3]