Re: genocide, ill-defined, and the Vietnam war (multiple responses)

SIXTIES-L (SIXTIES-L@jefferson.village.virginia.edu)
Fri, 22 May 1998 04:23:39 -0400

[1]

From: "David Vancil" <libvanc@cml.indstate.edu>
Subject: Re: genocide, ill-defined, and the Vietnam war

Whether it was "officially" genocidal or not, the warfare certainly
could feel that way, since there was no "clear objective" to win,
but, rather, one to enable our comrades to prevail without us
remaining there forever. So, killing their--the good
Southerners'--enemies rather than trying to take Hanoi or whatever
"rational" military goal might make sense created a disconnection for
acts of violence against the enemy that gives "attrition" a rather
solemn connotation--dead bodies of people against whom one personally
had no particular personal grudge except that they would do unto us
before we did unto them.

I understand the "war of genocide" label from that perspective, but
it was not to cleanse the earth of a race--rather than evaporate a
dangerous and somewhat invisible foe. If we could just kill enough
of 'em, they'd get tired of it. But of course it didn't work, as we
all know. Obviously, "genocide" is a stretch of the word, but it
carries so much moral baggage with it that it attracts us. Nobody
has really come up with a horrible enough word to describe the lack
of personal commitment Americans felt when they killed. Perhaps
that's why Calley seems so unsurprising in some ways.

David
_______________________________

[2]

From: "Marc J. Gilbert" <MGILBERT@nugget.ngc.peachnet.edu>
Subject: Re: genocide, limited definitions,Viet Nam

Drieux shoots!
Drieux scores!
Sort of!

The failure of definition prompts me to ask a specific question.

McNamara estimated the x number of civilians (as opposed to
"combatants") were being killed each month in Viet Nam.

My memory says 10,000, but my memory may lie.

When engaging in a war in someonelse's country, attempting to put
down a terroist war against a government which is niether just nor
legitimate nor loved by its own people, when does the killing of the
host country's population constitute "actions other than war?" When
do those actions amount to genocide, if they ever can?

What intrigues me is that on an average day, hundereds of Vietnamese
civilians might die due to collateral damage, but these deaths, as
they were not intentional or a matter of policy, were shrugged off.
However, forced "refugee relocation" was a policy that was not very
nice and was official. When does "shrugged off" deaths and forced
relocation amount to the legal definition of criminal negligence?
When does criminal negligence become genocide? According to the
Yamashita Precedent, the slaughter of even one village, such as that
as supposedly occurred only once at My Lai, would have led to
Westmoreland being hung, and he would have been, if that precedent
was followed. On this most agree.

As for the 82mm motars being fired by Vietnamese at their own people,
I will join Drieux as a judge at the war crimes trials in Hanoi. Oh,
there won't be any. I forgot. They won. But I am ready to go if the
Vietnamese ever decide that they actually lost. As for us, we lost.
So where are our post-war war crimes trials imposed on us by the
Vietnamese? Oh, that's right. Lefties already did that in Sweden!
And if the Right says we won, and we did, then, by
tradition, we are immune from war crimes! Hoooray! But in the next
war . . . .

By the way, the small fry who fired the 81mm and 82mm mortars and
torched the villes. No trials. They do not need the defense of
superior orders. They suffered enough. Me, too. I was right there
when both sides did it, every time, because I took the Stone's
"Sympathy for the Devil" too literally, bless my liberal heart and
teenage imagination.

Woo! Woo!

Marc

[3]