Re: Dead Panthers (multiple posts)

sixties-l@lists.village.Virginia.EDU
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 10:52:17 -0400

(1)
From: ARON KAY <pieman@pieman.org>

i believe a lot of the material from the underground press syndicate is
located ay nyu's taniment library

--
Aron Pieman Kay

(2) From: Ellen Garvey <garvey@panix.com>

As someone who worked at LNS in the early 1970s, I can tell you that we regularly sent LNS packets off to Bell & Howell to be microfilmed. I gather that B&H has since merged with UMI microfilms, and that the underground press series (UPS) B&H filmed was a real mess. But I'm fairly sure LNS was filmed separately from the UPS contract; it therefore might be in better shape. THe LNS archives, if anyone's interested, are at Temple University. Since LNS days, by a long and circuitous route, I've become an academic, and have recently been working on a short piece on the underground press. It's amazing to see, in the relatively small literature on the enormous phenomenon of the underground press, how people who worked at some paper or other publication for a year get to tell the definitive story, as though that were the only real moment that counted, though the paper went on for another ten years. I suppose this disconcerting experience is what everyone whose work or time is the object of study feels. (It's especially odd to find sectarian, personal, or political fights from 25 years ago carried on through a scholarly bibliography.) Anyone want to comment on this phenomenon of finding one's own institutions/friends/communes studied badly? --Ellen Gruber Garvey