Re: Now we know it's dead OR scariest product of 1998

sixties-l@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 12:47:40 -0400

(Multiple posts)

(1)
From: Phoenix <hmuskat@igc.apc.org>
Stu Shiffman and Andi Shechter wrote:

> porcelain "collector doll" offered by the Danbury Mint.
tie dye, peace sign, love beads, etc.

Grateful Dead Merchandising owns tie dye rights
Bill Graham Presents owns the Peace Sign (also "Summer Of Love" slogan!)
Peter Maxx Inc owns bell bottoms rights.
Merry Pranksters own bead rights.

It's Danbury Mint's efforts at multi-level marketing aimed towards
wealthy grandchildren of hippies and heavily suppressed adherents of the
christian right.

(2)
From: Sorrento95 <Sorrento95@aol.com>

In a message dated 98-04-05 21:48:45 EDT, Andi
writes:

>I can't decide whether I'm more amused or appalled at the newest porcelain
>"collector doll" offered by the Danbury Mint. This showed up in my
>newpaper ad supplements today. It's "Harmony" - she's only $99.50 is 16
> Now I know we're in trouble.

Trouble? Imagine what they'll be putting out in 25 years.

A doll with pre-torn blue jeans, tattoos all over her body, pierced
tongue, nipples, nose, and eyelids, with associated metal rings
and studs, black lipstick, and a blue and green mohawk hair style.
Instead of the peace sign, she'll be posed with her middle finger
extended in the classic gesture of contempt.

Oh yeah, don't forget the stereo earphones blasting "black metal"
into her head at 110 decibels.

-- Michael Wright