Re: Sixties scholarship and the internet (multiple responses)

sixties-l@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 10:09:52 -0500

(1)
From: John Andrew <J_Andrew@acad.fandm.edu

For those who want to work in FBI files, there is also a great resource
available on the internet - It's called "Secret No More" - and is an
alphabetical listing, with case numbers, of released FBI files - along with
a guide indicating how to get them- the URL is
http://www.crunch.com/01secret/01secret.htm - take a look and perhaps
you'll find some useful references -
John Andrew

John Andrew email: J_ANDREW@ACAD.FANDM.EDU
Department of History fax 717-399-4413
Franklin and Marshall College
Lancaster, PA. 17604-3003

"Fantasy Will Set You Free" - Steppenwolf

(2)
From: "Jeff A. Hale" <privacy@rt66.com>

Picking up on the COINTELPRO thread, the most comprehensive source for
_post_- 1976 (i.e. Church Committee) information on continuing FBI
illegalities (spying on Americans, etc.) is Ward Churchill's _The
COINTELPRO Papers_ (also South End Press). All recent books by Athan
Theoharis are also outstanding.

But locating anything resembling a comprehensive list of former radicals in
any given sixties organization, black, white, or Hispanic, will be very
difficult (SDS may be an exception -- many chapters and occasionally some
record keeping practices). "Official" materials from the archives of the
organizations themselves are rarely still in existence (one rare exception
of fairly good records [including chapter membership lists] for a
counterculture/radical group is the "John and leni Sinclair Papers" [White
Panther Party] at the Bentley Historical Library on the U-Michigan North
campus).

Warning: relying on any "government" sources for these membership lists
would be according them some level of credibility which they do not
deserve. The historical record is ample that nearly every "suspects"
and/or "radicals" list ever made in the annals of U.S. anti-subversive
police action (urban "Red Squads," FBI, Congressional committees, etc.)
were highly innaccurate (usually overblown beyond belief -- the "vacuum
cleaner" approach to identifying subversive "targets").

Jeff Hale
The College of Santa Fe
privacy@rt66.com