Panther & SNCC membership (2 responses)

SIXTIES-L (SIXTIES-L@jefferson.village.virginia.edu)
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 18:37:29 -0500

[1]

From: Joy Marcus <marcus@interval.com>

You might consider filing a F.O.I.A. (Freedom of Information Act)
affidavit with the FBI, CIA, Mississipi law enforcement agencies, and
the Chicago Police.

At 2:44 AM 12/27/97 -0500, you wrote:

>does anyone know of any archival material that might reveal membership
>lists for SNCC, SCLC and the Black Panther Party for the period of, say,
>1960 to 1970? would appreciate any suggestions.

>Marc Perrusquia

__________________________________

[2]

From: "Peter W. Brush" <Brush@LIBRARY.Vanderbilt.edu>
Subject: Re: sncc

Scholarly Resources has available the FBI File on the Student
Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. The file spans 1964-1973 and
contains activity reports, addrresses, list of officers and members,
and other material. The catalog number is S3245.

UMI has available the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee
Papers, 1959-1972. It is 73 rolls of microfilm. There is a guide to
this collection.

Scholarly Resources also has a file available titled "Communist
Infiltration of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference FBI
Investigation File." It covers 1958-1980 and is over 13,000 pages. It
contains all investigative reports on the SCLC, its leaders, and
suspected Communist connections. The catalog number is S1754.

As for the Black Panthers, you could look at:

Off the pigs! : The history and literature of the Black Panther Party
/ edited by G. Louis Heath. Heath, G. Louis.
Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, 1976, 419 p.
ISBN 081080901X
Note: Includes index. Bibliography: p. 390-414.
Subject (LC): Black Panther Party--History.
Subject (LC): Black Panther Party.

Peter Brush
History Bibliographer
Collections Development Central Library
Vanderbilt University 419 21st Avenue South
Nashville TN 37240 Telephone: 615 343 4838