RE: Rifle, Dope & Camera (multiple responses)

SIXTIES-L (SIXTIES-L@jefferson.village.virginia.edu)
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 02:47:05 -0500

[1]

From: Ralph Carlson <RCarlson@APUNET.APU.EDU>
Subject: RE: Rifle, Dope & Camera

Maggie --

Thanks for the informative and documented posting. I had my
all-expense-paid vacation in sunny S E Asia in 1970-71. I still
remember stepping off base onto Highway 1 at Phu Bai Combat Base south
of Hue one mid-morning and being approached by a kid about ten years
old who had jumped off the back of a cyclo to offer me a small vial of
heroin ("skag") for only two dollars.

Some of my acquaintances reported sprinkling it in with tobacco and
re-rolling their cigarettes. Others reported lacing their marijuana
joints with it. Still others, who said nothing about their own use or
non-use, reported fears of having heroin vials planted in their gear
or in their bedding (for those with huts and cots) before inspection
as "users" had previously set-up "non-users" to be caught when the
higher ranks were inspecting for drugs, suspecting that certain
non-users had "ratted on the users."

As I was processing out of Saigon in 1971, one acquaintance with whom
I had trained before we were assigned to Viet Nam, was guzzling water
and soft drinks constantly during the time a bunch of us gave urine
samples and processed out. I presume he was flushing his system: at
least the folks doing the urine testing kept telling him to give
another sample - what he produced was "too thin" - or so he told those
of us going on through the drug-test station of the outprocessing.

As we gathered again at the next duty assignment in the USA following
30 days' leave, he was still with us and on the duty roster. He was
prone to "relaxing with a few beers" during off-duty hours, as he had
been during our many months of training BEFORE Viet Nam duty. A few
years after return to civilian life, I heard he was killed in a
highway accident. Alcohol-related? I don't know, but I suspect that
it may have been.

I would concur with the writer who contended that many people who may
have used substances to escape the stresses of life in the war zone
would often have found the stresses of civilian life less dire, and
would thus use more socially acceptable - or tolerated - means of
relieving or avoiding stress.

Peace -
Ralph
_________________________________

[2]

From: "Allen Cohen" <SFORACLE@HOOKED.NET>
Subject: Re: Book recommendations

An important and hard to find primary source for drugs and hippie culture
of the Sixties is the San Francisco Oracle Facsimilie Edition, Regent
Press, OAkland CA.. search for Regent Press on Web. The story of San
Francisco Rock n Roll is in Summer of Love by Joel Selvin.

Allen Cohen

[3]