Re: athletes (multiple posts)

sixties-l@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 11:27:27 -0500

(1)

A place to begin your research would be William L. Van Deburg's New Day
in Babylon. This book has a section on black power in sports which will
provide you with a useful over view, and I think the footnotes will
direct you to other sources that may be of use such as Harry Edwards'
Revolt of the Black Athlete.
Herman Graham
University of Pennsylvania

(2)
From: Alex Bloom <abloom@wheatonma.edu>

The best place to begin is with Harry Edwards, The Revolt of the Black
Athlete (NY, 1969).

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Paulo Diniz wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> The sixties were an amazing time and I unfortunately wasn't born yet,
> but it was a time of changes and I want always to learn about those ideas
> and thougts. Is there is anybody that could help me to get information
> about Tommie Smith and John Carlos, the athletes that made one of the
> greatest moments in the history of sports with their protest.
>

> Paulo Diniz.
> pvdiniz@hotmail.com

(3)
From: "Peter W. Brush" <brush@library.vanderbilt.edu>

Paulo:

This is not a difficult topic to search. I'm sure the newspapers were
full of it -- check into newspaper indexes for 1968 in the weeks
after the Olympics.

The August 5, 1991 issue of "Sports Illustrated" has an article on
this by Kenny Moore:

Abstract:
Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised their fists in a symbol advocating
racial justice in the 1968 Olympics . Their fight for racial justice
through their participation in sports is chronicled.

Peter Brush

(4)
From: "William M. King" <kingwm@spot.Colorado.EDU>

Paulo, you might begin by examining vol 3 of Arthur Ashe's history of the black
athlete.

William M. King,
Professor and Coordinator,
Afroamerican Studies,