Re: Future of '60s courses?

June A Cook (research@ALASKA.NET)
Sun, 09 Nov 1997 14:02:42 -0900

Shaun D. Mullen <smullen@philly.infi.net> wrote:

> > From: Scott Walter <slwalter@indiana.edu>
> > With the 30th anniversary of 1968 coming up, we sould work even harder to
> > teach the rising generation about the events of the decade.
>
> Indeed, but let's not forget older generations as well...senior-citizen
>students had probably been loyally establishmentarian during the Sixties,
>but...Many had children who in turn drew them into the issues of the
>day... They too were deeply affected by Sixties, and that shouldn't be
>forgotten as we contemplate ways to mark the 30th anniversary.

I agree with Shaun, who touched a real nerve in my life. I'm 55, and was
quite active in VVAW local activity in the Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove
area of California from 1969-1971. My mother died in 1994, and to the
day she died (actually, some of her last words to me) were that she
never understood how we could have had an upside-down flag hanging on
our wall during that period, and how much that single fact hurt her.
There are some we will never reach to teach, but it's always worth the
effort. Our children, who were pre- and early-teens during the early
'70s, demonstrated with us...even to the extent of being interviewed on
local radio as to the reasons for their presence at marches and sit-ins.
These children are now parents of teens(my grandchildren), and I find
that the younger generation's knowledge of the activities of their
parents is limited to drug-activity only. It's sad.

June Cook -- Network Design and Research Center
http://www.alaska.net/~research