Re: Sixties course version of "The Dream Team" (multiple posts)

sixties-l@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 12:20:17 -0400

(1)
From: William M. King (kingwm@spot.colorado.edu)

Sandra Flowers, the two titles that came to mind immediately on reading
your post were, "The Autobiography of Malcolm X," and "Coming of Age in
Mississippi." Because they detail actual life experiences, they cross
the artificiality of disciplinary boundaries, and in so doing provide us
the opportunity to ask many more different and interesting kinds of
questions.

William M. King,
Professor and Coordinator,
Afroamerican Studies,
The University of Colorado at Boulder
kingwm@spot.colorado.edu

(2)
From: epm2@lehigh.edu (TED MORGAN)

Sandra asks,

> Here's my question to the list: If you had to choose just two
>works--one in the humanities and one in the social sciences--that you
>wouldn't want students in an interdisciplinary course on the '60s to miss,
>which two would you choose and why? By "works," I mean

I had a curious response. Malcolm X's autobiography came immediately to mind
as one of the two. I haven't been able to single out another work that compares
in distinctiveness.... Though I can think of lots from a class below that in
significance --great books from the 60s, about the 60s-- but ones they could
"miss." Marcuse's One Dimensional Man; Betty Friedan's Feminine Mystique;
Marilyn Young's Vietnam Wars; .... and on & on.

Ted Morgan

Department of Political Science
Maginnes Hall #9
Lehigh University