Re: Red-diaper babies (multiple responses)

SIXTIES-L (SIXTIES-L@jefferson.village.virginia.edu)
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 18:42:22 -0400

[1]

From: "James Cummins" <jimc1@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Red diaperism today (multiple posts)

> I wonder what we make of the fact we can discusss this openly now - or is
> it open, so to speak? And are we saying the effect of red-baiting is not
> as strong or lacking a base of substance, is it exposed to the public and
> younger generations? If so, what were the markers of the demise or has it
> just taken a less noticeable position since most activists do not link
> themselves to such left organizations any longer?
>
> bob anderson

Bob:

I think the collapse of the Soviet Union, and the drift of other Communist
countries into economic Capitalism (or starvation) makes the threat of the
Communist Party to overthrow our government by force less of a threat to
our freedom, so that there is less concern among citizens today. During
the sixties the threat of Communism was very real, and we felt we needed to
combat it wherever it reared its head. But remember "Eternal vigilance is
the price of freedom."

Jim Cummins

jimc1@earthlink.net

[2]