Re: Buying the System Line (was: Summer of Love/Vets)

Kevin Cole (kccole@one.net)
Tue, 02 Sep 1997 23:40:33 -0400

Paul Heavens wrote:

> We were wrong as a nation. Cant we accept that?
> There were no "evil people" risking thier lives. Just the number expected
> in a country like ours buying the system line. And why not? they were
> educated and primed for it. There is no blame here

Yes I think this is a fair way to construe what happened. Except that I'd add
that "buying the system line" denotes a line of thought and a depth of belief that
probably isn't accurate.

I enlisted, for example, not because I "bought the system line" but because I
reached a point where I believed that the truth was unreachable and indeterminable
given the state of the bullshit that was flying around, and so I suspended trying
to figure out whether there was a right side in those terms. It was with a sense
of relief that I fell back on a more concrete, more reliable sense of
what-to-do-next -- I followed the example of several older men (uncles, cousins,
friends) whose lives I'd learnt from and whose support I found consoling. I
enlisted because that was where they were, and it felt like the right place for me
to be. (When I got there I felt perfectly at home, and I'm pretty sure that the
process by which I got there wasn't unusual. I was a fuckup in the service, but I
served with some real heros, and with some ordinary heros, and I'm glad I knew
them....)

I know this sounds hopelessly like an abdication of my responsibilities as a
thinking rationalizing ethical being etc etc etc but I wasn't able to think very
well then, and I was in a lot of trouble personally (being an adolescent), and so
I did what felt right. I didn't "buy the system line" and I didn't "buy the
anti-system line" because I mistrusted and disbelieved both of them. And almost
30 years later I still consider in retrospect that I did the best I could in that
situation.

I think that this sort of cultural, personal-example, non-abstract line of
decisionmaking is probably a lot more common that one would think. And that
should serve as a warning to ideologues who'd insist on constructing a
superstructure of abstractions atop someone else's behavior.

Hope this is making sense. It's late at night and I just returned from a Z Z Top
concert at Riverbend in Cincinnati. There were lots of veterans there. Some on
Harleys and some in mini-vans. A lot of broken lives and lives that grew stronger
around the broken places. It was a comfortable place to be.

--KC

Kevin C Cole
kccoleNOSPAM@one.net