Enlisting to Avoid the Draft & Being Drafted (Was: Summer of Love) -- multiple responses

SIXTIES-L (SIXTIES-L@jefferson.village.virginia.edu)
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 14:00:40 -0400

[1]

From: Henry Beigh <henryb@imagebuilder.com>
Subject: Re: Vets and the Summer of Love

Joe,

As a 10+ year veteran of the Marine Corps, I owe you many thanks for
articulating so eloquently what I feel about having been part of the
"other side" during the war years.

It is very easy for those not involved directly to point their
fingers and say "these are evil people". Why did I go? I got drafted so
I decided to enlist in the Marines rather than be drafted. At the time I
believed we were doing the right thing (after al, daddy told me we
were). Also, I knew that if I ran, my father would hunt me down and kick
my ass all the way back to the SS office. Misguided beliefs and a fair
amount of coercion pretty much sums it up for a large number of us
"baby-killing, gore-loving" vets.

Again Joe, thanks so much. I'll see you in SF and buy you that drink
I promised.

Namaste,
Henry

Henry C. Beigh (503) 684-5151 x554