Counterpoised arguments

drieux, just drieux (drieux@WETWARE.COM)
Sun, 24 Aug 97 21:33:20 -0800

--- On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 18:34:51 -0400 sixties-l@jefferson.village.virginia.edu wrote:
> We were able to
> do to the communists in Afganistan what they had done to us in Viet Nam,
> and the result was the destruction of the Soviet Union.
>
> I might agree that the we should not have fought in Viet Nam if you can
> convince me that the Sovit Union would have collapsed without it.

p1: why is it that no one wishes to recall the Kampuchean
wars, that are to this day still raging? And the ten long
years of a bloody little guerrilla war against an elusive
foe in the Jungles of South East Asia that would bog down
PAVN year after year, and that without the benifit of
anti-war protestors, of international anxiety about
massive aerial bombardment, with no Jane Fonda seated on
the AAA of the Khmer Rouge, No Summer of Love Running Rampant
through the streets of Vietnam's most famous west coast port?

What was it that would keep PAVN from winning Ultimate Victory?
And that they would pass of their puppet regime to U.N. protection
that has in this year still dallied with the question of what to
do with Pol Pot, and even more so, what to do with the march to
democracy and the end of tyranny in their land? Or are we to sweep
aside this mere folly in a far off land, because, at this moment
there are no White Devils lodged there to make importance of the matter?

p2: That the 'soviet union' has passed along, does this really
change diddly in the debate? Solzhenytsyn was silenced from
Moskva TV, for that most vile of SINS, poor ratings. How grand,
how noble is the day when the Repression of the Nielson Ratings
replaces more direct issues from the Commisariate of Public Safety!
This is Progress? This is Virtue?

And in exchange we have gained what in the process? Cathi Lee now
has a most contrite heart about the repressions of the working
class, now that it is possible that the YuppiePuppies might not
buy her work out clothing? While the Glories of the Peking Princlings
bring the Kapitalist Roaders to the Gates of Hong Kong, and once again
we can consider aloud The Thought of what would have become of the
summer of Love, were it to have been held in tien ahn mihn square, as
has been noted here before!

p3: and to tie it all back around again, to that most important component
of the Sixties Culture, let us return to the respects we all paid to
the foreign film makers who had not sold their souls to mere HollyWood
Moguls, and ponder again the ending of Kurasawa's "Seven Samurai" and
wonder about the joys of bringing in a rice harvest, and who Really
wins at the end of any war.

Oh is it in bad taste that I point out that the sixties were more than
just an american show? And that those who were old enough to recall the
czech spring, do not lightly pass over the thought of what alternatives
might have existed for the summer of love, had things been otherwise than
they had been. And yet, to recall our valiant comrades who fell that
following year to the armed liberation of the valiant forces arrayed
against the repression of the Kapitalist Ruling Elites, and their Puppets!

How far have we really come in the intervening thirty years?

Mere deconstructed rhetoric, and the restoration of Heroin as
fashionable amongst the bi-coastal crowd of Jet Set Avant Garde...

And we are still trying to pascify the country side....

To hearts and Minds, perchance again we should turn?
With Bombers Bigger? Or...

ciao
drieux

E-mail: drieux@wetware.com