Re: Origin of the term "Heavy Metal" music

Gary Singletary (gsinglet@SPRYNET.COM)
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 22:16:39 -0400

I'm not sure I've kept completely up on the discussion concerning the
origin of the term "Heavy Metal" but the following is support of a kind for
the Lester Bangs/
William Burroughs theme. The Rolling Stone Record Guide, 1979 edition,
incorporates a Glossary which states on page 612, in part, the following in
defining "Heavy Metal":
"Presumed to appeal primarily-almost exclusively-to working class
young men, and heavily associated with downer (barbituates, etc.) use. The
term was coined by critic Lester Bangs from certain passages in Burroughs'

'Naked Lunch'."
There is no attribution provided as to when or where Lester used the term.
As for the questionable accuracy of which Burroughs' book was involved and
the
incorporated presumption as to the exclusivity of the music's appeal, I
reference the Guide's
learned definition (in part) of "bubblegum" at page 606:
"... the form is now recognized as a breeding ground for production talent
and recording experimentation."
I had always wondered why the Lemon Pipers followed up "Green Tambourine"
with "Rice is Nice" - and now I know.