Re: internal dynamics of social movements (multiple responses)

SIXTIES-L (SIXTIES-L@jefferson.village.virginia.edu)
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 16:49:06 -0500

[1]

From: J_Andrew@ACAD.FANDM.EDU (John Andrew)
Subject: Re: internal dynamics of social movements

>I'm working on a dissertation that focuses on the interior social relations
>within the black freedom struggle, student new left, and women's movements
>of the 60s and 70s. Most studies I've seen have focused on movement
>relations to the broader political culture. WHat I'm trying to look at is
>the interior dynamics of these movements and how these dynamics shaped
>subsequent actions.

Wes,
A quick question or two - your topic sounds interesting, but the
questions you pose seem to relate as much or more to exterior relations as
to interior - if interior is really your focus, then I would ask about your
sources? they seem critical - oral history? - do you mean interpersonal
relations? oftentimes they seemed to shape the dynamics of particular
movements as much as anything else -
John Andrew

John Andrew email: J_ANDREW@ACAD.FANDM.EDU
Department of History fax 717-399-4413
Franklin and Marshall College
Lancaster, PA. 17604-3003

"Fantasy Will Set You Free" - Steppenwolf
_________________________

[2]

From: DMCFADDEN@FAIR1.FAIRFIELD.EDU

Regarding Wesley Hogan's query about the internal dynamics of social movements
in the 60s and 70s, take a look at Barbara Epstein's terrific book, "Political
Protest and Cultural Revolution" (Berkeley: UC Press, 1991). While it focuses
on nonviolent direct action movements in the 70s and 80s (antinuclear) it also
makes reference to civil rights and the 60s and is a most in-depth and
provocative look at many of these internal dynamics questions. Much more work
needs to be done on this. Dave McFadden, Department of history, Fairfield
University,(Connecticut) (dmcfadden@fair1.fairfield.edu)