Re: civil rights music

rachel barrett martin (mart0167@GOLD.TC.UMN.EDU)
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 23:23:05 -0500

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 97 11:10:34 -0600

Anne Marie Ellison (and others) may be interested in the Rebe Garafaolo
(sp.?) article on Black Power/CR music during summer 1967 in Radical
America a few years back.

I don't have the exact cite here at school (and Michael Wm. Doyle just
pointed out to me that my post about the Southern Head Trips special was
wrong; fyi "Southern Head Trips: The South and the
Counterculture" is 34:3 _The Southern Quarterly_ (Spring 1996)) but I'm
pretty sure George Lipsitz cross-references it in his article on youth
culture in David Farber's anthology. I recall something like "Garafaolo
reminds us that the Summer of Love was also the Summer of Rap and Retha" in
Lipsitz. Shoot maybe that was the Radical America editor. Oh well, for
what its worth... Rachel Barrett Martin, mart0167@gold.tc.umn.edu